This session can be used stand-alone or ideally as part of a full permaculture design course.
- To support learners to understand the basic concept of zone 00 in permaculture
- To support learners to experience applying design to an area in their personal life
1. Popcorn – What is Zone 00?
Share ideas as a large group. Discuss is it related to permaculture.
2. Introduce design exercise. Ensure everyone has pen, paper etc. Ask the participants to reflect on each of these questions. Do not read the next question until giving 5 minutes to the prior. Ensure you keep timing so participants don’t become ‘stuck’ on a question.
- What is one area of your life that you would like to change?
- What would you need to survey/observe?
- What would you to analyse?
- What design tools could help you?
3. Reflect and share as a group.
Throughout this session I have found it useful to be working through my own design question, to give learners tangible examples to the questions.