This is an overview of a workshop from the Earth First Summer Gathering 2015.
– Disclaimer (content can be triggering/heavy/upsetting)
– Go round – name, from, what you want out of the workshop (if a small group)
– Share one work that describes the prison system
2. Quiz about the Prison Industrial Complex
3. Share your first memory of prison in your childhood, popular culture etc e.g. TV, films, parents. Discuss functions of the P.I.C.
4. Talk about the P.I.C in the UK
5. Who is harmed by the P.I.C? Card exercise with statistics identifying patterns of race, class, gender, age, ability.
6. Ecological Harm of the P.I.C.
– In small groups brainstorm potential ecological impacts of prisons
– Examples may include: waste, industrial food system, polluted sites, alternative land use that could be more sustainable, high energy, transportation, construction, medication & water pollution
– Talk about how these environmental issues intersect with social justice struggles e.g. Mental health, placement of prisons in poor communities, class inequalities of health, poor nutrition etc.
7. Resistance & abolition. Share slides about abolition. Give examples of resent resistance in UK & abroad. Plug events/projects/mailing list.
8. Clarifying questions. Final go round of next personal step. Thanks & close.