Yesterday afternoon I was honoured to facilitate a workshop about permaculture and prisons at the International Permaculture Conference 2015. This post is to share some of the key resources from the session & link up other work in this field.
For those that don’t know me, prisons and permaculture have never been separate. In 2009 I accessed a grant to undertake a permaculture design course via distance learning in prison with ACS Education. I was serving a 3.5 year sentence and working in the gardens inside. Learning about design completely changed my life. Since getting out I have become more & more involved in the permaculture movement and wider struggles around land, food and prison abolition.
I feel like the workshop was a pivot point for me after years of trying to connect the dots, heal from the everything I saw and experienced, cope with supporting closed friends still incarcerated and find some points of intervention that contribute to designing the prison industrial complex out of existence.
Here are some resources from my work on this to date:
- Slides from my talk at the International Permaculture Conference – http://www.slideshare.net/NicoleEmptyCages/permaculture-prisons
- Podcast recorded from an event at the Permaculture Picturehouse – https://www.mixcloud.com/21stCenturyPermaculture/nicole-vosper-on-permaculture-prison-abolition/
- Radio Interview with Animal Voices about Permaculture, Prison Abolition & more – http://animalvoices.ca/2015/02/17/dont-be-afraid-to-turn-your-pain-into-power-permaculture-design-and-empty-cages-with-nicole-vosper/
- A World without Prisons, article in Red Pepper Magazine, September 2013 – http://www.redpepper.org.uk/a-world-without-prisons/
- Three recent articles in Occupied Times with the Empty Cages Collective that really introduce all of these ideas:
- Articles written in Never Alone – a Zine about how it feels supporting people inside – http://www.emptycagesdesign.org/new-publication-never-alone-a-zine-about-supporting-prisoners-by-those-on-the-outside/
- Article in On the Out, a zine about life after prison – I wrote a piece on how to support someone leaving prison and also the emotional affects of prison & repression – https://bristolabc.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/on-the-out-zine.pdf
- Blog post about permaculture principles in action in prison – http://www.emptycagesdesign.org/permaculture-in-prison/
- What will it take to heal? Prison abolition & Permaculture – The first article I ever wrote about prison abolition & permaculture. It was written at a point of serious distress in my life during my journey supporting my best friend in prison – http://permaculturenews.org/2012/10/20/what-will-it-take-to-heal-prison-abolition-and-permaculture/
More General Resources about Prison Abolition
- Empty Cages Collective resources section – http://www.prisonabolition.org/why-abolition/resources
- Community Action on Prison Expansion – http://cape-campaign.org/
- Bristol Anarchist Black Cross – http://bristolabc.wordpress.com/
- Critical Resistance (North America) – http://criticalresistance.org/