This is a skeleton overview of a presentation I gave in Taunton on the invitation of Taunton Vegans. I thought it would be useful to share in case others are invited to give talks or workshops introducing vegan permaculture.
1. Intro to myself, thank you for invite
2. Go round: name/where you’re from/why you’re here. Emphasise how its great to connect people – often why people come to these events.
3. What is permaculture?
– Ask folk to speak to the person next to them.
– After 2 mins. Ask the pair to speak to the next pair near them.
– After 4 mins ask them to speak to the next four.
– After 5 mins ask the group to feedback into the whole group
4. Write a definition together. Then read different definitions from power point.
5. Talk through slides (see below)
Ask folk can they see any ethics missing from the Venn diagram? (Normally people will say animal care)
7. Why use design?
Introduce this in 2 minutes. Ask one volunteer to write up people’s answers on the board standing next to you. The other volunteer has to run each time from the back of the room. This should hopefully make people laugh! It will emphasise the importance of placement in terms of saving energy and resources.
7. Introduce the permaculture principles.
Hand out different principle cards. Continue with slides & pictures of Brook End (or the permaculture project of your choice). Ask them to shout bingo if they think they have them. Give brief feedback to emphasise the principle.
8. Finally ask people does permaculture have to involve animals? Yes! But self determining ones. Show pictures of worms, wildlife etc. Finally bring up picture of veg box. Ask folk if we need animals to feed ourselves.
Plug resources/PDC/Vegan Organic Network and so forth. Say thanks again to the organisers.