This workshop is one I designed & facilitated at the Earth First Summer Gathering 2015. How it was described;
An opportunity to talk about the emotional impacts of repression in a safe, facilitated space. We will share tools & strategies for coping & recovering from repression so we can stay engaged in social and ecological struggles.
– Desires for this session
– One example of repression
2. Choose one example of repression, perhaps one that is most likely to be in your life. Talk to the person next to you about how experiencing this form of repression would feel.
3. Share as whole group. Emphasise how emotional impacts of repression are undervalued & not acknowledged.
4. In small groups explore tools and strategies for emotional resilience & what you would need to be more emotionally resilient in the situation of repression. Share definition of resilience.
For example my list – friends, counseling (after), self-esteem, defiance/attitude, multiple people meeting my needs, expression, fighting back
Other topics of conversation that are likely to surface & are good to share: attitudes, scenario planning, being debt-free, self esteem, burnout awareness, optimum nourishment, PTSD, emotional expression, machismo, courage/militancy, solidarity culture, repression awareness
5. Sitting alone. Map your own support web, integrating the tools and strategies listed above.
6. Share resources